Can ABBYY FineReader recognize text that contains unusual symbols (pictograms, the © and ® symbols, etc.)?
ABBYY FineReader 14 can be trained to recognize all Unicode symbols. To recognize text with uncommon Unicode symbols, follow the instructions below.
1. Create a new language and add all the necessary symbols to its alphabet:
- Launch ABBYY FineReader 14.
- Go to Tools > Options > Languages.
- Click the New button.
- Select the language of the text you need to recognize as the base language and click OK.
- Click on ... button next to Alphabet.
- Add new symbols to the new language and click OK.
- Enter the name for the new language and click OK.
2. Train ABBYY FineReader to recognize the new symbols:
- Select the new language as the language of the current document.
- Go to Tools > Options > OCR.
- Select Use training to recognize new characters and ligatures option. Tick on also Use built-in patterns.
- Click OK.
- Click read button to start recognition.
Note: This article corresponds to ABBYY FineReader for Windows. If you have the same question regarding ABBYY FineReader for Mac you can find the article here.